Are you a fan of sonic ice? This type of ice shape and texture had already reached a cult following status. Fans just can’t get enough of this “good ice” as they call it, that is both crunchy and semi-soft. The Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker claims to produce that sonic ice that everyone is craving for. Does it deliver on its claims?
Fans of sonic ice are very particular when it comes to this type of ice. They could easily tell if the ice that is claiming to be sonic if it is of the right characteristics. Sonic ice or good ice could be produced with the right amount of temperature in the insulator. It should not be too cold nor too hot, the shape of the ice also plays a vital role.
In this article, we are going to go through all of the features of the Opal Nugget Ice Maker. By the end of this read, you would be able to determine whether this ice maker would be a good buy or a bust.
Features of the Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker
The Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker might just be the sleekest when it comes to exterior design. Its functions are straightforward. It simply creates ice and then it would refreeze the melted ice. It has a storage bin, but that storage bin could not function as a freezer.
- It is made of stainless steel and plastic.
- The exterior is that of a classic black and silver. It has a center glass panel so you can watch the sonic ice action as it forms.
- It is very portable and does not take too much space on the counter.
- It has an easy setup; you just have to plug it into an outlet that is compatible with the machine.
- The processing time is 15 minutes to get the first ice nugget.
- It can produce about a pound of ice in just an hour.
- It can hold up to approximately three pounds of ice at a given time.
- It produces a crunchy, chewable, and softer type of ice.
- This product was not designed to be used commercially.
- This machine produces a certain kind of ice that is good on its known, but even better to use for cold beverages.
- It is fairly easy to install, you just need to plug it in, and you can immediately start using it.
- It emits ultraviolet lights that keep things sterilized within the machine.
- It also has a water refreezing technology where once the ice gets melted, it would run through the ice chamber again to be produced as ice.
- You do not have to bother with checking the machine as it has an auto shut off when the sensors sense that the bucket is full.
- It pairs well with an application that can be used on your phone to control some of the settings.
- This can run on the noisy side, especially when the ice starts pouring in.
- It does not have a safeguard against water overflow or leaks. Once this machine starts to leak, it would just keep on leaking.
- Given its nature to be susceptible to leaks, even though the machine is made of stainless steel it is still not entirely durable.
- There might also be a strong plastic taste with the initial use, but that taste would eventually go away.
- The produced ice do not have consistency in terms of temperature. Some would easily melt, while others would keep their shape.
Summary of Features
The Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker produces the well known and beloved sonic ice. It is just a plug-and-use kind of product and can produce a pound of ice in just one hour. At the same time, melted ice is not wasted as it would be frozen again.
The machine ice basket can hold up to three pounds of ice, but it cannot function as a freezer, so the ice would still eventually melt. Once the three-pound bracket has been reached, the machine would automatically shut off to stop producing ice, and it would only start producing ice again when the ice melts.
Comparison with Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker
The Firstbuild and Luma ice makers derive their similarity in the type of ice they produce. However, the former is much better in terms of the validity with the characteristics of sonic ice. The ice made by the latter is much harder and clearer than sonic ice.
At most, the ice that the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker produces are smaller and harder cubed ice, which for some sonic ice fanatics could easily be determined.
The Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker also falls shorts in terms of being portable. It is too bulky and heavy. Although they are both plug and use machines, the Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker is still easier to use as you do not have to prepare anything beforehand.
The Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker is your best bet at having sonic ice. However, you do have to sacrifice user functionality in the long run, because there is a bit of fault with its design. The problem lies on when the machine leaks. When a leak starts, it would just keep on going. Eventually, the machine would break.
If your main purpose is to have sonic ice, then this machine is worth it compared to the Luma Comfort IM200SS Portable Clear Ice Maker that could only produce smaller cubed ice. The Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker is also better when it comes to the exterior and portability.
The best feature of the Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker is that you would waste any water when the ice starts to melt because the machine uses a smart refreezing technology. Once the ice melts, the melted ice would go back through the freezing chamber to be used again.
If you are really an avid fan of sonic ice then the Firstbuild Opal Nugget Ice Maker should be the ice maker of your choice, just expect the machine to be not that durable and prepare yourself for maintenance costs.